Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Forest Discovery Center

Graesie's class had a field trip today to the Forest Discovery Center. We hadn't been there before and didn't know what to expect, I though it was more an outside activity in the forest. Even Graesie's teacher didn't know what it was. It's a factory where they manufacture moldings and trim. They've done homes for celebrities like Madonna, Tom Cruise and Arnold Schwarzenegger (oddly enough, that was in my spell check list;) and the floors in the White House. I couldn't take pictures inside the factory itself, but I got quite a few in the discovery section. I think the parents liked the tour of the actual factory better than the kids though. It was very cool. This will definitely be a "do-over" so Tadd can see it.

This guy is the artist that made this and three other partial walls depicting the four seasons.
It was amazing; it's all cut out of wood. It only took
him 250 hours, which sounds like a lot, but if
you figure it's only about 6 - 40 hour work weeks it's pretty impressive. It was very intricate.

Graesie always falls asleep on the way
home from field trips.

2 comments:

Bill and Freddie Ann said...

I went there on a field trip a few years ago! It was pretty fun! Looks like you all had fun too!

Ashly said...

now THAT looks COOL. may have to go check that place out myself...I love that graesie :)