Most of the times of the 11 years we have been making our annual pilgrimage to see Santa have been uneventful - the standard wait in line, get excited, go up on his lap and tell him what we want for Christmas. However, there have been years in the past when it didn't go so smooth, like when I almost got into a brawl with Santa's helper over how grouchy Santa was, but that was another time and another story. Last night will be one of those years remembered.
Tatum has been reminding us all Christmas season long about how she doesn't like Santa, in fact I even heard her mention the word "hate" when referring to the old man. She also said that that he is mean, and that she DID NOT want to sit on his lap (I'm not sure where this fear of Santa came from - maybe it is the murdering Santa DVD that we have playing in her room each night while she is falling asleep...) While we stood in line, we directed her attention to other things in the mall like all the monster size Victoria Secret posters hung in the window with care. Finally, it was our turn. We gave Tatum to Yardley and told them to go up and tell Santa what they wanted for Christmas. As I turned around to position myself for the photo, Tatum did one of her signature screams. In fact the scream was so loud that Santa started to pray, "oh my Lord". The "helpers" just wouldn't shut up about what a crazy scream that was...at least that is what I think they were saying because we were all rendered deaf for a few minutes. I was able to snap a few shots before she went into a coma which are posted here.
After we were done, Graesie said "I didn't know Santa cussed." I didn't either, but apparently when properly provoked he can let them fly with the best of us. I also noticed that Graesie wasn't her spunky self afterwards. Evidently amongst all the commotion, Graesie told Santa the wrong thing, so now she isn't going to get what she wants.
Yardley has been reminding us that she is in Middle School, and evidently none of her friends are going to see Santa. So after the wrestling with Tatum, she made it clear "no more." Graesie said to her "Why Yardie, I am going to sit on Santa's lap and tell him what I want until I'm twenty-three." Yardley's response to that..."We'll see."
0 comments:
Post a Comment